Community Food Garden at Woodbine Racetrack.
The Community Food Garden at Woodbine Racetrack is an innovative project that provides families in need with access to fresh, healthy food, and strengthens their community. By providing space to cultivate food, the garden creates a platform to promote local food systems, enhance food security, and increase local knowledge and skills-sharing. The Community Food Garden works with Evergreen to ensure that key community groups benefit from the garden and the harvest each year including: the Albion Neighbourhood Services Boys & Girls Club, Horizons for Youth, the North York Harvest Food Bank, the Racetrack Chaplaincy of Canada and Youth Without Shelter.
In 2016 the Community Food Garden achieved:
• Produced over 1500lbs of food harvested.
• Engaged over 500 volunteers who contributed over 1500 volunteer hours.
• Provided harvest for 4 local community groups & 1 food bank
• Engaged 45 youth in in the community by providing 6 educational workshops
• Directly impacted over 700 community members & at-risk youth through providing harvest.
• Provided corporate volunteer opportunities for 4 different organizations.
The Community Food Garden’s 2017 Goals:
• Provide 5000lbs of healthy, fresh produce and distribute to the community in need.
• Produce 500 organic vegetable, herb and flower seedlings for community distribution.
• Provide four internships for local youth.
• Provide educational opportunities for more than 200 local youth & community members.
The Community Food Garden 2017 Corporate Supporters include:
Park ‘n Fly
HOW CAN YOUR CORPORATION CONTRIBUTE?
To learn more about the Community Food Garden and how your corporation can contribute, click here